Review: Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout


Purchased from:
Ray's The Steaks

ABV:
9%

Type:
Stout

Color:
Dark, almost black with a tan colored, thick head - almost opaque

Aroma:
Spice, coffee and malt mainly, very complex and rich

Taste:
Thick and syrupy yet oddly drinkable.  Spicy on the lips with bitterness from the coffee flavor.  Really smooth going down and finishes with a warming effect from the high ABV%. 

Overall:
Finally got to try out Ray's The Steaks out in Arlington, VA tonight and had a very good steak.  With the steak I ordered this beer.  I had seen it in the Whole Foods I usually go to and was interested but knew that it was a pretty heavy drink and not for every day casual drinking - at least for me.  Mainly what attracted me to this initially was the label of course - I mean, that's Rasputin, the Russian wizard guy!  But seriously, he really does characterize this beer as a thick, strong, initimidating, and intensely flavored beer.  Right off the bat, you get knocked in the face with the spicy and chocolate/coffee flavor, not to mention the creaminess of the beer.  The spice leaves your lips tingly and then the bitterness from the coffee flavor makes up for whatever lack of hops there are.  Sweetness of the malt remains once the alcohol and bitterness subside.  This beer went down really smooth despite the intensity from the flavor making it easy to drink while accompanying my meal.  At the same time, it's not a drink I'd have while watching the game on Sunday afternoon.  Overall, a very good stout beer that is complex in flavor, but unfortunately too strong and a little overwhelming for me.

3.75/5

2 comments:

    On October 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM Anonymous said...

    One of the absolutely best beers out there. It can be, at first, "...strong and a little overwhelming." It just takes a little getting used to.

     

    Yes it was very good - I think it caught me off guard a bit as I don't drink too much of this style. Thanks for visiting whoever you are!

     

Post a Comment