Review: Mississippi Mud Black & Tan


Purchased from:
Trader Joe's, Falls Church, VA

ABV%:
5%

Type:
Pre-mixed black and tan (porter mixed with pilsner).

Color:
Dark brown color, like a Coke.

Aroma:
Really had to sniff this long and hard to get any malt or hop aroma.  Mostly dry and apple-y, a bit grassy and even cardboard-ish. 

Taste:
Watery, dry, thin, really light flavored.

Overall:
Like I've said before, I am a sucker for advertising and this beer definitely sucked me in with its packaging.  I was looking for some new beer to try while shopping at Trader Joe's (who don't really have a great selection) and this caught my eye.  The little brown jug makes it seem like it's homemade or aged and implies richness, sweetness, with a reckless flavor.  For $2.99 for the quart, I thought it was worth a try.  I've had the Yuengling Black & Tan previously which I liked the balanced flavor of the maltiness of the dark beer with the bitter, floral taste of the pilsner.  I anticipated something similar if not, better.

I poured this into my Perfect Pint glass and the dark color was appealing.  I took a whiff and couldn't really make out anything though.  Took another whiff and still not much in the aroma.  Dang it.  I saw alot of bubbles which made it seem like a soda.  Hmm...

When I drank this, I had a hard time making out any flavors as well.  I guess it was balanced but it really lacked anything special; hardly any sweetness or bitterness, really light and REALLY watery and thin feeling in the mouth.  I wanted to like this so it was disappointing.  At least I have a cool little jug for... oh who cares.

1.5/5

1 comments:

    Come on man - this stuff sucks and you know it.

     

Post a Comment