Fall has Officially Begun!


Had a nice weekend, spending time with a bunch of friends, sharing good food, and drinking great beer.  I love the fall due to the fact that the food and beer around this time all become hearty, with big, warming flavors and spices - it's just straight up COMFORTABLE.

So we ended up in Philadelphia on Saturday, to visit my wife's friend, and had dinner at Lolita, a "modern Mexican" restaurant with a melt-in-your-mouth beef tenderloin, and drinks at Continental.  The Continental had some nice beers, all bottled.  They had one I didn't recognize which was called Kenzinger, which looks like it is a local PA beer (something other than Yuengling??).  I ended up going with the Lagunitas IPA which I've had before and enjoyed alot.  Will have to go back and try that Kenzinger sometime.  I'd recommend both of those places to check out next time you are in Philadelphia - especially the rooftop bar at the Continental (heat lamps FTW!).  Ended up back in VA Saturday night, I know crazy, whirlwind trip.

Sunday, there was a wine festival in Old Town Alexandria that we were planning on hitting up and at least walk around and take in the brisk fall weather.  I think the travelling on Saturday pooped us out so we ended up not getting to Old Town until dinner time (and I got to watch football instead!).  We went to Columbia Firehouse.  It was decent New American style food - I got mussels which were very good and fresh.  The restaurant was also supposed to be participating in the wine festival but I didn't see any specials on wine offerings - strange.

I was impressed, however, with their beer list - a hefty mix of local craft brews.  Off the top of my head - and I know I'm missing some - on draft, they had St George Lager, Dominion Octoberfest (tapped out when I was there :( ), Flying Dog Gonzo, Southern Tier Pumking Ale, Victory Hop Wallop, Starr Hill The Love, Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, Guinness Stout, and at least 5 more.  Also like 20 different bottles available - pretty ridiculous.  I was able to try 3 different ones, all unique and brilliant in their own way: Southern Tier Pumking, Victory Hop Wallop, and Flying Dog Gonzo.  Impressions of the beers mentioned after the jump.


Lagunitas IPA - If you like IPAs, this is a very solid offering from Lagunitas.  IPAs tend to be more hoppy than your usual pale ales and this one brings the flavor to the forefront without killing you with bitterness.  Smooth and very drinkable, with a nice balance of malt chilling out under the boldness of the hops. Floral and piney.  I would buy this again.


Southern Tier Pumking - This was served in a tulip glass and it had a nice orange color to it.  The smell was distinctly pumpkin, like you just opened up the top of your jack-o-lantern and sniffed it before ripping out its guts.  The taste was also more pumpkin-y than pumpkin pie-y.  Though the spices were there, a fresh pumpkin taste ruled over all.  Also, the 9% alcohol was more than needed.  Pretty good but the DFH Punkin Ale is superior.


Victory Hop Wallop - The name says it all, I was walloped with hops - in a good way!  Piney, citrusy, really fresh hop notes on this one yet thirst quenching and drinkable.  Had to sip it though as the flavor can be quite intense.  Surprisingly smooth and balanced for a beer with such bite to it.  Really really good if you're a hophead.


Flying Dog Gonzo - Served on tap!  A seasonal release, the Gonzo is a dark "imperial porter" with huge roasted coffee malt flavor.  Flying Dog has become one of my favorite local breweries (I've had their Golden Ale and Classic Pale Ale) as I try more of their offerings.  The Gonzo is rich and malty but with a layer of hop taste in there too.  Quite complex with the sweet and bitter intermingling.  Enjoyed it.

1 comments:

    nice mosaic. is it yours?

     

Post a Comment