Quick Brew Hits

I've been talking alot about craft/micro brews lately and beers that aren't typically served in your restaurants and sold at 7-11s.   That doesn't mean I hate on/don't drink any of the macrobrews that are so common.  So this edition of Quick Brew Hits will list some of the beers I typically order when you can't get the small, local craft brews.  These are mainly lighter in flavor, lighter bodied, and pretty unassuming beers that are good when you're just hanging out with your friends and munching on pub grub (except for one of them). 

In this edition: Stella Artois, Yuengling Lager, Newcastle Brown Ale, Coors Light



Stella Artois - Not sure why, but Stella is becoming one of the beers I will usually get when at a typical American restaurant.  It is becoming more and more prevalent at the bars, probably because it is easily accessible, but a tier above the typical light beers.  It's got a thin sweetness, is refreshing, somewhat fizzy, and has this very slight metallic/skunky flavor (even on tap) to it which, oddly enough, balances out the sweetness.  Pretty much, it won't get in the way of anything.




Yuengling Lager - I would pretty much say this or Sam Adams Boston Lager are my main go-tos when going out and not wanting to think about what I want to drink.  Although it can be well-carbonated, the flavors are well balanced.  Sometimes when you buy them they are skunked due to the green bottle so be careful.  A versatile beer, good from the bottle or on-tap.  The Yuengling Black and Tans are even better; smoother and bolder tasting.



Newcastle Brown Ale - Still one of my favorites.  It's got a mild nutty, malty flavor but even lighter on hops.  Smooth, drinkable, a little creamy, yet refreshing, this is another one of my go-tos.  The malty sweetness is balanced well by slight bitters at the end.  It also begins to taste better when warmed up a bit.  Overall, just solid and good for any occasion, on its own or with food.



Coors Light - Prior to my boycott of light beer, I would go between this and Miller Lite.  Pretty much it was 'which one is the lesser of two evils?'.  I have to say, Miller Lite is the lesser of two evils here.  Coors Light literally tastes like Brita water mixed with a little juice of fermented rice.  If you follow the directions on the bottle and serve it when the label is blue (blue means its cold, like ice, or something...), it tastes better since it is colder which makes your mouth numb.

3 comments:

    Stellaaaaa!

    I love Stella and Newcastle Brown Ale. I totally agree that you can pick either of those and not have to worry about it.

    I didn't realize you were boycotting ALL light beers. Good for you! Your beer belly will rival my mozzarella stick belly.

     

    cmfl3x, i didn't know there was such a thing as mozzarella stick belly. i better watch out myself.

    i love a good stella too.

    so not cool with coors light...you might as well have said budweiser....what are your thoughts on pabst? they are getting more and more prevalent in hipsterville over here. X

     

    Pabst is kinda gross, but you can get a 40 for cheap!

     

Post a Comment