Quick Brew Hits

Not every beer I encounter can be reviewed.   Therefore, every so often, I figure I'll give you my quick impressions of beers I've tried along the way.  Most of these probably suck and aren't really worth reviewing but there will be some nuggets in there which might sway you from one choice to another when you are staring at the shelves in your liquor store.

In this edition: Stone Levitation Ale, Landshark Lager, Abita Restoration Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale 2009.



Stone Levitation Ale - As I said in my previous review for Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, I am a SUCKER for advertising an cool logos and Stone Brewery certainly sucked me in with their beastly gargoyle logo, promising an attitude and taste comparable to that of its logo.  Too bad this Levitation ale didn't really do much for me.  It was really light and just above average on flavor.  It was smooth going down but mostly bland.  Pretty big letdown for me.



 
Landshark Lager - This was not my choice!  We'd been talking about it at dinner before a poker game for some reason (probably talking about needing a vacation) and picked up a 6 pack.  I mean, the stuff is made by the Margaritaville Brewing Co. so you know what you're gonna get: a light, Corona-ish beer that claims to be an "island" lager.  I never got that; I mean you make a beer, put a lime in it and it's supposed to take you to the islands?  Psh, please.  Flavorless, bland, boring.  Next!



Abita Restoration Pale Ale - Abita brewed this beer with the intention of donating some of the proceeds to help rebuild New Orleans after it got hit by the hurricanes.  Unfortunately, this beer is even worse than the Levitation Ale!  Really I only tasted anything in the AFTERTASTE.  That's where I got any of the hop flavor and while it was good, you really have to search for it.  But for 3/4 of the drink, it tastes like water - albeit good, crisp, clean water but seriously, this is a beer, not hop flavored water.  Sorry Abita.  I won't give up on you yet.



Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale 2009 - Ok here we go!  This was also bought for poker night.  I did not have any Landshark Lager prior to it so it did not affect my bias here.  Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to me is a little TOO hoppy, bitter and strong but they got the mix right with the anniversary ale.  It was smooth, flavorful, robust, and not as dry-tasting as the pale ale.  This was really good - plus I think it helped me play some of my best poker that night. 

3 comments:

    Sierra Nevada rules. Where do you find all these other random beers!?

     

    Total Wine and some other higher end supermarkets like Wegmans and Whole Foods. Not sure if you have any of those where you are.

     

    We can't even buy alcohol in MA grocery stores.

    I KNOW, right?!

     

Post a Comment