Ballpark Beer

I'm back.  Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and happy New Year.  Alot has been going on in my world of beer.  My fridge is stocked with a "plethora" of beer thanks to friends, family, and a bit of my own curiosity.  Also, I bought a book called The Naked Pint which is great reading (at least the first 20 pages - I'm a slow reader).  So not only am I expanding my palate but also my MIND.  Don't worry, I plan to share these discoveries with you on my journey of learning.



Prior to going home for Christmas, I had the privilege of watching the NY Giants destroy the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field (football for all you uninformed, and don't talk to me about the last two weeks of the season). I'm a huge Giants fan and had scored tickets from my wife's co-worker. These were club level tickets no less! Being my first time on a seating tier that was not the nose-bleed level, I was excited to have a good view of the game and perhaps indulge in some higher quality refreshments, including the beer. Read on to find what I discover.

Yup, you guessed it, MILLER LITE DOMINATION.  Even though the club level concourse was enclosed and heated, complete with comfy leather sofas and spacious lounge area, the refreshment stands served your standard Miller Lite (in souvenir cup) for 8 bucks a pop along with $5 hot dogs and pretzels.  The vendors walking around the stands were also "Lite" vendors.  My only solace at this point was that the Giants were obliterating the 'Skins 34-0.

At halftime, I was determined to check out what else the Club-level concourse had to offer.  There HAD to be some treasures somewhere.  Even Nationals park has embraced craft beer and offer some great beers from Stone, Flying Dog and Dogfish Head (see list here).  I headed out on a mission and walked a bit. 

I found a bar that had Guinness and Harp on tap.  Good enough for me.  I stopped there when I saw people getting black and tans (or half and half or whatever).  I never had one of these before so I order one for 9 bucks :(.  I took a swig and I didn't get it.  The flavors did not mix at all, with the Guinness being Guinness and the Harp being this thin, fizzy beer at the bottom.  You were basically drinking two beers that just do not seem to be meant for mixing.  Can someone enlighten me on this concept?!  Why not just order one of each and drink separately!?



Anyway, I stopped there and decided to just enjoy the game.  I really love what the Nationals have done and feature local brews at the ballpark.  I think more sports venues should adopt this idea.  Just like food is regional, beer is regional and tastes different everywhere you go.  Visitors to these venues could be able to get a bit of local flavor in their sports experience. 

3 comments:

    totally agree and think black and tan should be reserved for different (aka better) beers. although always a strange combo to me too.. corporate sponsorship is tough in the stadiums, they buy the whole thing so hard to get local stuff. looking forward to the post about your xmas beer! l, carrie and jannie ps. hope you got it from the doorman

     

    At Fenway Park they have Sam Adams. Maybe it's a football thing...

     

    balck and tan looks cool and you don't have to order 2 beers to try 2 flavors. I think the Lite thing is NFL sponsorship.

     

Post a Comment