Review: Big Boss Angry Angel Ale


Purchased from:
Gift!

ABV%:
4.5%

Type:
Ale

Color:
Really pale yellow, a bit hazy, straw-like.

Aroma:
A bit of yeast and malt sweetness, hardly any hop smell but there are some citrus, grapefruit notes.

Taste:
Watery, with a quick bite from the hops, then all malt sweetness once the bitterness subsides.  Warming finish down the throat.

Overall:
I received this beer from cmfl3x who had dropped by to visit over the new year after visiting North Carolina.  As I've become more and more interested in local craft beer, I had asked him to pick me up something from NC.  This was the first Kolsch-style beer I've tried and I really didn't know what that means so I looked it up.  According to Wikipedia, "It is a clear beer with a bright straw-yellow hue, and it has a prominent, but not extreme, hoppiness. It is less bitter than the standard German lager beer, Pilsner."

I had never heard of Big Boss Brewery so I was pretty excited to try this one and see how I liked an American Kolsch Ale.  As I poured it into my glass, it lived up to its Wikipedia definition as it looked bright, pale yellow with some haziness.  I stuck my nose in the glass and at first whiff didn't get much except some maltiness.  Took a huge whiff and finally got some citrus from the hops in there. 

Unfortunately, this beer was quite underwhelming and I'm hoping is not an accurate representation of the Kolsch style.  I struggled to find any hop notes as I drank but only tasted malt sweetness, water, and fizziness which helped counter the sweetness.  Pretty much the whole "prominent, but not extreme, hoppiness" thing was missed in this one.  Granted, it was light, super drinkable, and refreshing, but it reminded me a bit like your typical light beer, with a better mouthfeel and the added hint of real hops.  Despite its low ABV%, it did provide a warming sensation after you drank it which was nice.  However, the flavor doesn't cut through on this one.

2/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment