Seasonal Brewings

The boss "made" us go to happy hour last Friday and as I walked out into the hallway, encountered my co-workers asking where we should go. I tried playing it cool by saying "Dogfish, but I'm down with whatever" meanwhile hoping in the back of mind no one would have beef with the suggestion. Basically, the way our happy hours work out, we either go get cheap Miller/Coors/Bud Lights or we go to Dogfish Head and enjoy some quality beverages while unwinding from another long, tedious week. Usually, it's the former, and well, honestly, we deserve better than that.



So we head on over to the DFH Alehouse once again. Excitedly, I turn around as we enter the bar to see what offerings they have. "Punkin... Ale"?!!?? Apparently, the fall season is upon us! My eyes widen and I know exactly what I'm getting. I order it and take a big whiff. Pure joy as memories flood my mind of Thanksgivings past. I'm a huge pumpkin pie fan and after hearing some of the hype about this beer, it truly did not disappoint. On first sip, the beer just completely hit me with the creamy, nutmeggy, pumpkiny, buttery, pie-crusty, vanilla-y goodness that comes with your first bit of pumpkin pie with ice cream on top. Yes, it was that good. Subsequent intakes did not yield as strong a flavor as the first sip but that's good because it was not overpowering in anyway but just reminded you of that initial burst of flavor. So good; will look for this in the store in the coming months.

Next on the menu was another seasonal brew from DFH called "Aprihop".






I wasn't too sure what to expect with this one. Judging from the name, it was either brewed in APRIl with lots of HOPs or it was a combo of APRIcots and HOPs. I get it and it literally looks orange to me in the glass. A very deep orange. The head was PINK. I brought it back to my group of manly men and they proceeded to make fun of my daring choice ("You got FRUIT beer?", "Is that PINK?"). Hey, at least I take chances... At first scent, I could smell the tartness of the apricots. There was actually no sweetness (I guess those candied apricots we got at the chinese grocery store had some sugar added). As I partook, I did get some hoppy goodness which helped temper the tartness of the apricots but with bitterness instead. Really citrusy and flowery were what I got but surprisingly drinkable after you get past the inital jolt and tightness in your jaw like after you've ate some Cry Babies. It somewhat reminded me of Troeg's Nugget Nectar but not as odd tasting and overwhelming. I will pass on this one in the future.

Obviously out of these two beers, the Punkin Ale was my favorite. I could see myself drinking this with AND AFTER Thanksgiving dinner this year. But I would never skip the real thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment