Quick Brew Hits: San Diego


My hotel being struck by lightning

Was away from the coldness of the DC area this week and arrived in "sunny" San Diego.  I was hoping to get away from the snow and rain but all I got upon arrival was even MORE rain with added wind.  Asking the hotel receptionist what was up with the weather, she said that it was the first time this year it had rained in SD.  Awesome, this trip is gonna suck.

Fortunately, the rain subsided over the next few days, the sun eventually came out, and I was able to go out and try some new local beers!  I really liked that even the hotel bars and alot of the restaurants had local microbrews on tap along with the other mainstream stuff.  It allowed me to explore and try out stuff I'd never get on the east coast.

The beers I were able to try were a couple from Ballast Point brewery - Victory At Sea Imperial Porter and their Yellowtail Pale Ale.  Also tasted was the Firehouse Pale Ale and Stone IPA.  It was great to see such a thriving beer community there.  Also, had some Fat Tire Amber Ale, a staple on any trip out to the West Coast.

Impressions of beer after the jump.



Yellowtail Pale Ale - The first night, we went to get dinner in Old Town San Diego where it was taco night at the Coyote Cafe.  Apparently ordering tacos on taco night is not a good idea since they were terrible.  I ordered a couple fish tacos and a couple carne asada tacos, both of which came out cold and soggy - I've had better at Baja Fresh.  Looking at the beer menu, they had something called Yellowtail Pale Ale which I ordered.  It was light amber in color and smelled of dry hops.  I've seen beers characterized as 'bready' but never actually tasted one.  This one did.  In fact it was more like stale crusty bread.  It went down crisp and a bit refreshing but the aftertaste with the bread detracted from it.  I switched over to Pacifico after (my go-to for mexican beers). 



Victory at Sea Imperial Porter - After dinner, we went back to the hotel and I needed something good to clear my head of the crap tacos I had at dinner.  The bartender excitedly explained he had a bunch of beers on tap including this porter.  Since I was jet lagged and ready for bed, I decided to go for the heavy, sweeter beer and went with this one.  It was awesome.  Strong but rich and creamy, with huge coffee-chocolate notes; it had a bitter-sweet-ness going for it which I loved.  As close to dessert as you could get with a beer.  Too bad I haven't seen this back East.



Firehouse Pale Ale - Saw this on happy hour special for $3 a pint and gave it a whirl.  Pretty smooth and more on the malty side for a pale ale but nothing stuck out in its hop character.  A big meh.



Stone IPA - Stone's version of the IPA is pretty good and seems like a good example of what an IPA should be.  Not overly bitter, but lets you know that this has hops in it.  It is crisp and light and the dry finish leaves you thirsting for more.  Quite good.



Fat Tire Amber Ale - Another beer you cannot find of the east coast.  I've had this most of the time I've travelled out to Cali and it's just got such a unique flavor.  It's more shortbread-ish, like cookies when you drink it, combined the malt make this more of a sweet beer.  However, it is well balanced with the hops to deliver a consistent flavor.  Easy to drink.

Well that's it - I only know I can find the Stone IPA out here but if you any of you see the others, let me know and pick some up for yourself!

1 comments:

    when I went to SD a few months back, it was also raining on one of the days I was there. what a disappointment. but the rest of the time it was 70 and nice.

     

Post a Comment