Quick Brew Hits: Sno-poca-geddon Edition

 
Snowed in.

I wanted to get this blog entry in as we are going through round 2 of the end of the world, I mean, zombieland, I mean, a snow storm.  The snow started Friday afternoon-evening and continued straight through Saturday.  I mean it snowed for about 24 hours straight.  Friday morning I went out to the grocery stores and everyone was preparing for 2012 (Mayan-style) or something, not realizing that the snow would be over by Sunday.  More importantly, the snow happened on Super Bowl Weekend, foiling any plans I may have had to go gorge myself on junk food and beer while watching football with friends.  Instead, my wife and I had to gorge and drink with each other. 

I had bought some Otter Creek Copper Ale from Trader Joe's, and we finished up the Brewmaster's Collection from Sam Adams, including the Scotch Ale, Boston Ale, and Cream Stout.  All of these were unique with one not meeting expectations.  Read on for more deets...



Samuel Adams Scotch Ale - Made from 4 types of malt used in Scotch whiskey, this beer tastes great for those that like an emphasis on buttery sweetness, some toffee notes with a touch of hops layered over everything to balance it out.  It's a nice robust beer which a good, complex malt profile. 

Samuel Adams Cream Stout - My wife doesn't usually drink beer but with the promise of dark chocolate and coffee notes with low bitterness, she and I both enjoyed this immensely.  I had this on tap at the Maryland Renaissance Faire and it tasted a bit more balanced and fresh to me then.  But it was still good out of the bottle.  It's not too sweet, not too bitter, and not too syrupy.  Good entry into stouts, very drinkable, and girl-approved!

Samuel Adams Boston Ale - Further proof that the Brewmaster's Collection is inconsistent.  This was thin and very dry, which tasted like stale hops.  Some apple aroma in there.  Hardly any malt profile and too much carbonation.  Goes down easy but just not enough flavor.


Otter Creek Copper Ale - A well balanced beer, a malt and hop profile that is pronounced but neither takes over.  The hops have a nutty flavor, slightly dry taste and really drinkable with low alcohol.  Great for drinking after a long day or watching a game.  Also complements food really well as the flavors don't dominate the palate.  Almost thirst-quenching.  Very nice.

Well the snow is still falling and I still have some Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Aventinus in the fridge.  Should keep me busy even though the snow will keep me in for a day or two.  This is the only good thing about shoveling - you get to come in and pop open some beers after.

3 comments:

    Renny fest was good for something! totally worth it. Hope you guys are staying warm :)

     

    Where did the special Sam Adams glass go?

     

    I've been learning a bit about different glassware for beers and trying to notice any differences between the imperial pint glass and the sam adams perfect pint. i'll be interchanging and noting any differences in a future post possibly.

     

Post a Comment