Yes folks, I have achieved the impossible - I've become THIRTY years old last week.  I didn't think it'd affect me too much but in fact, when I woke up that fateful morning, it struck me.  I'm no longer "twenty-something"; I now have the privilege of saying I'm THIRTY.  That's a big number.  As odd as it may sound, the distance between a 29 year old and a 31 year old shrinks alot when it becomes the difference between a 30 year old and a 32 year old.

Anyways, I'm over it, as I had time to celebrate over the weekend with friends and revisiting some old haunts from when I first moved down to the Northern Virginia area.  Clarendon (a neighborhood of Arlington) pretty much typifies the NoVa nightlife experience - young professionals, in polos and jeans, gather to listen to 80s/90s cover bands, drink cocktails, and swig Miller Lite.  Not the preferred scene for everyone but fortunately, there are gems in a neighborhood that don't conform to this style and bring unique attitude and most importantly, awesome beers.  Galaxy Hut was the first stop on my birthday night and it was awesome.  The place is small, with a few booths and tables (including a pinball and 80's arcade machine tables).  The main attraction here for me was the beer selection.  They offer a large variety of craft brews on tap as well as bottles that rotate in and out (check their website for latest offerings).  Even with its hipster vibe, you feel welcome in the laid back atmosphere.  I had 4 beers here that I had never tried before and I will try to describe what I can remember here.

In this edition: Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale, Heavy Seas Big DIPA, Russian River/Avery Collaboration Ale, Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot Brown Ale


Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale - This award winning beer just started to be brewed again this year after Old Dominion Brewing closed and stopped making it for Bob and Ellie Tupper.  St George Brewing has now begun to produce the recipe and this is good stuff.  I've had it in the bottle and it is a well balanced, crisp, hop-emphasized beer.  Had it served on tap this night and it had a bit more sweet malty characteristic to it but the same hop flavor that I love.  If you're in VA, you have to pick some of this up.


Heavy Seas Big DIPA - From Clipper City Brewing in Baltimore, my expectations of a Double IPA have changed with the Heavy Seas Big DIPA.  I expected more hops than the Tupper's as the DIPA designation suggested.  But this was all malt to me, like candy caramel.  It dominated my palate and the hops couldn't cut through.  Tasted chewy to me.  It was ok.


Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot Brown Ale - Get it?  WTF?  Well this beer pretty much makes you ask that as it's got a whole mess of flavors going on.  Grapefruit, apple, hop bitters, finishing with some syruppy caramelly malt flavor.  A bit of everything yet suprisingly drinkable and smooth.  Different, would drink again.



Russian River/Avery Collaboration Ale - Another interesting amalgamation of flavors I got out of this one.  This was a bit darker and smoother than the previous ales I had.  Cherries and some coffee up front, but then going bitter from the hops to balance it out.  It's a little heavier than I'd like but still good.

After a great time at Galaxy Hut, we enjoyed burgers at Whitlow's and hung around to catch the band, Hyjinx, who played the hits like Gin Blossoms (Hey Jealousy), Journey (Any Way You Want It), Def Leppard (Pour Some Sugar On Me), and Lady Gaga (Pokerface).  Great end to a fun night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment